Immigration and visas

International Human Rights Law Summer School

If you are an EEA (European Economic Area) or Swiss national you do not need a visa to enter the UK to participate in this Summer School. You are free to enter the UK as long as you show your EEA or Swiss passport on arrival. Countries of the EEA are listed at

If you already have non-student permission to be in the UK such as a Dependant Visa, Ancestry Visa or Working Visa (i.e. any visa which allows you to work in the UK) this will cover your attendance at the Summer School. You should not use a General Visitor Visa or enter the UK as a General Visitor for the programme as this does not confer permission for this study.

If you are NOT an EEA or Swiss national, and do not already have a visa in one of the categories listed earlier, you will need to apply for a visa or 'leave to enter' the UK under the Short term study route which allows students over the age of 18 to study either part-time or full-time for up to 6 months in the UK. Depending on your country of nationality, you will either need to apply for a visa in advance or for 'leave to enter' on your arrival in the UK. You can check this at (make sure you choose the ‘six months or less option when it asks for how long you plan to study in the UK). Whether you are required to apply in advance or may do so on arrival, you must provide certain documentation to support your entry to the UK.

Further information about the Student Visitor route will be provided on confirmation of your place on the course. In the meantime, you are advised to visit the website of the UK Border Agency at to find out (a) whether you need to apply for a visa in advance, (b) what documents you must provide in support of your application for a short-term study visa and (c) what the processing times are for advance applications.