Setting up access

University card

Your University card is your student identification as well as your library card. In some colleges and departments you will need it as a payment card or to access buildings. Your University card will be created during the course enrolment process and will be made available for you at the beginning of your course, once you have registered. 

If your card is lost, stolen or damaged, please inform your Course Administrator (or your College Office if you are a matriculated student) immediately. You can pay for a replacement online - details are available on the University card webpages. If you need urgent access to libraries without your card, the Bodleian Library Admissions Office in the Clarendon Building on Broad Street can issue you with a day pass until your new University card arrives.

Misuse of your card, such as allowing another person to use it for access to premises or facilities, is a serious offence.

You will need your University card to:

  • Log into the computers in the Bodleian Libraries
  • Connect to the Bodleian Libraries wifi network which is available in many library reading rooms (including the Rewley House Continuing Education Library)

Oxford Username - or Single Sign-On (SSO)

You will have received an Oxford username, known as your 'single sign-on' or 'SSO' (which will usually begin 'cont' or 'oxce' followed by four digits e.g. cont1234) at the start of your course. Your SSO gives access to a range of services including:

  • Your University email account
  • Your library account and electronic library resources
  • IT-related courses run by IT Services 
  • Access to IT facilities at IT Services, 13 Banbury Road, including computers and specialised printing and scanning facilities
  • The IT Services shop, which sells site-licensed software, hardware and IT-related stationery and peripherals

University email account

When your University card is created, an email address is set up in the format (or for matriculated students). You can access it on the web or via email clients installed on your computer.

You must check your University email account regularly as this will be our main means of communication with you.  

Annual registration and enrolment

You will register via Student Self Service at the start of your course. The Department for Continuing Education, or your college if you are matriculated, will complete your registration. More information about registration is on the University's Guide to registration page.

Students on courses lasting more than one year are required to re-enrol annually.

Changes to personal details

It is very important that you keep your contact details updated through Student Self Service.

If you change your name, you must submit a request in writing to your Course Administrator, accompanied by documentary evidence. More information is available on the University's Name changes webpage. 

Virtual Learning Environments

The Department uses WebLearn, Moodle and Canvas, which are accessed with your SSO. Most courses will make use of at least some of the functions of these platforms. More information will be provided in your Course Handbook.  See the Online facilities webpage for links.


The Eduroam wireless network is available in Rewley and Ewert House and other University buildings; see the IT Services website for details on how to set this up on your laptop or wireless device.

Anti-virus software

Students are able to download and install Sophos Anti-Virus Software free of charge from the IT services website.