A wide-ranging introduction to this inspiring subject for beginners. Topics include:
- how fossils get preserved
- how to recognise some major fossil groups
- an overview of the history of life
- key ideas in evolution and the fossil record
- mass extinctions and evolutionary radiations
- recent discoveries
There will also be a chance to study many real fossils put out in the teaching room. You are very welcome to bring along your own fossil specimens which you would like to be identified or which you think are of special interest.
No previous background in palaeontology and geology is needed and no reading is required in advance.
This is a repeat of the same course that is taking place the previous day, Saturday 15 April 2023.