"People need to know that they have all the tools within themselves." - Deepak Chopra (Author of The Soul of Leadership. New York: Harmony Books. 2010).
This course will examine the fundamental concepts of being a leader, allowing participants to explore, and assess, some of the key contemporary theories of leadership. During the course you will develop a better understanding of the strengths and weaknesses of leadership models, and gain a practical approach for applying them to your role. Throughout the course, tutors will instruct you in ongoing personal development, through self-reflection and critical awareness.
Participants will discuss the importance of personality in leadership, including the impact this can have on key themes in your leadership, such as team working, emotional intelligence and derailers to achieving your goals and key Leadership targets.
Participants will learn in small groups alongside tutor-led sessions and experimental learning.
The last date for receipt of complete applications is 5pm Friday 17th February 2023. Regrettably, late applications cannot be accepted.
This course will enable participants to develop:
- A clearer understanding of their own leadership styles, abilities and application in their environment
- An introduction to key components of leadership and how it can be applied in their own advanced scholarship
- An introduction to the applicability of emotional intelligence in practical leadership
- The formation of action learning sets to facilitate longer-term learning and peer support.
By the end of the module learners will be able to:
- Understand the major theories, principles and concepts of leadership
- Evaluate their own leadership styles, abilities and application in healthcare environments
- Identify the potential role of personality preferences on leadership styles and their influence in healthcare settings
- Recognise the applicability of emotional intelligence in practical healthcare leadership
- Develop and form action learning sets to facilitate longer-term learning and peer support
- Support their longer-term development of transferable skills into their own leadership contexts