A comprehensive introductory workshop for students entering or returning to academic study. The session will cover time-management, reading critically and selectively, taking notes, and planning and writing essays for undergraduate-level study.
If you have recently returned to study after a break or are planning to start a new course of study next year, you may find it useful to attend this introductory workshop. The session is designed to help you tackle your course effectively and will explore the full range of basic study skills needed in higher education.
We shall discuss common concerns and problems and explore ways of:
- Organising your study routine to make the best use of time available.
- Reading selectively and effectively in order to obtain and retain information.
- Deciding when and how to take notes in seminars and whilst reading.
- Getting to grips with essay questions and developing and structuring an argument.
- Planning, writing and reviewing your essay.
- Producing and presenting references and a bibliography.
Each session will include group and individual exercises to practice the skills discussed. Handouts will be provided for future reference.