The content presented below is an indication of what is expected to be covered during the course; there might be minor readjustments to the specific features of the class and its pace.
Course starts: 20 Sept 2021
Week 0: An Introduction to Teams – Course orientation
Week 1: Apresentação I. Brief introductions.
- Portuguese varieties on the map
- Greetings and farewells
- The alphabet, some diphthongs and digraphs
Week 2: Apresentação II. Introducing each other.
- Asking for and giving personal information
- Introducing one another
- Numbers 0-20
- Ways of addressing people according to their social contexts
Week 3: Fala português? Asking and answering direct questions.
- The usage of verb forms for affirmative answers
- Verb(s) to be: ser vs. estar
Week 4: Onde fica o hotel? Describing public spaces and locations.
- Prepositions of space
- Adjectives: synonyms and antonyms
Week 5: Arrenda-se Apartamento. Reading adverts for housing.
- Describing houses and furniture
- Numbers 21-100
No Class 8th November - Half Term
Week 6: Dia a dia. Describing daily routines.
- Main meals; parts of the day
- Asking and telling the time
- Describing daily routines
- Prepositions of time
Week 7: Queria um café, por favor! Going to the restaurant/café/hotel.
- Making requests and reservations
- Expressing preferences
- Making and answering a phone call
Week 8: Revisões. Consolidation.
Week 9: Normalmente. E agora? Talking about actions in the present (usually vs. now).
- Simple Present vs. Estar a + Infinitive
- Numbers 101-1000
Week 10: Feliz Natal! Boas férias! Christmas and other festive celebrations and traditions.
- A festive message
- Language games
Course reconvenes: 24 Jan 2022
Week 11: Queres ir ao concerto? Inviting, accepting, refusing, apologising.
- Simple present of some irregular verbs
- Ter de + Infinitive
Week 12: Dou-te boleia até ao parque? Further suggestions.
- Means of transport
- Some prepositions of movement
Week 13: O que costumas fazer ao fim de semana? E o que vais fazer no próximo? Usual actions vs. plans for the future.
- Simple Present vs. Ir + Infinitive
Week 14: Querida Rute, há quanto tempo não nos vemos? Writing a letter/an email.
- Há quanto tempo…? [For how long…?]
- Desde quando…? [Since when...?]
Week 15: Vais para o Algarve? Making plans for the holidays.
- Seasons and the weather
- Prepositions of time
- Com + personal pronouns
- Adjectives: comparative and superlative degrees
No Class 28th Febraury - Half term
Week 16: Viagem à Serra da Estrela. Discussing hobbies and leisure activities.
- Clothes and colours
- The possessives
Week 17: Faça Exercício! At the doctor’s surgery.
- Body parts and physical description
- Simple Present of verbs dar and doer
Week 18: A minha família. Family members and relationships / Revisões. Consolidation.
Week 19: Queria enviar esta carta, por favor! Shops and services.
- Variable demonstratives
- Indefinite pronouns
- Prepositions + Personal pronouns
Week 20: Desculpe, podia indicar-me o caminho para o Parque das Nações, por favor? Asking for and giving directions.
- Roleplays and language games