Session 1 (Weds 5 May 2021)
- Mike Dawson - Making a Career of Consultancy autobiographical sketch
- Gerry Wait - Making a Career of Consultancy autobiographical sketch
- Challenges and Opportunities & the Jobs Market
- Career enhancement? Career directions and interests
10:45-11:00am Group Discussion of motives and reasons for career change
11:15 - 12:00 Taking the Plunge - Approaches and Opportunities/Business Skills and Personal Conduct
- Consultancy – The Scope of Modern Consultancy – one-stop shop, multi-disciplinary teams, or specialists.
- Structures – Formal and Informal – what we join and ones we create
- Communication, Lone Working, Self-Reliance
- Team Working, Diplomacy and Effective Management in different kinds of teams or solo – knowing what we want, or need, and what serves our clients
- Surviving as a Business – marketing, accounting and time/money management, costs and profits
12:30 Session ends
Session 2 (Thursday 6 May 2021)
10:00 -10:45 Consultancy in the Real World – Developing a Career and Career Skill-sets
- Personal Career and skill sets: From Desk Based Assessment to Heritage Statement
- Specifications and Written Schemes – consultancy and fieldwork interfaces
- Environmental Impact Assessments – rigour and scope
- Local Plan Examinations, Public Inquiry
11:15-12:00 Delivering for Clients or ‘what’s in it for me’?
- Mitigation and Off-set – producing public benefits (and our own job satisfaction)
- Project Management – a necessary evil or a principle service
- Client and other Stake-holder Relationships- how we present ourselves
- CPD – where does it lead? Taking control means knowing where we want to go.
- Self-Motivation/self-direction/self-reliance - goal orientation
- Professional ethics – personal v professional ethics and knowing how to navigate
- Confrontation, collaboration, consultation – combining how we work with what provides value for the money our clients pay.
12:30 Course Ends