The aim of the course is to examine the workplace within the framework of a system between the physical environment (e.g. the open plan office, the part-time worker, the virtual team), and the people who make that system work.
Aspects of the physical environment -found in most offices- which interfere with human information processing, are explored. Issues in diversity – how we each see the tasks ahead, and why we might see them differently, are discussed.
Finally we use this knowledge to explore managing differences, through physical (or system) change, interpersonal change and culture, to build resilient and flexible individuals and teams.
- Work as a system –humans as the flexibility in the system, what are the consequences on physical and emotional health? - and how to mediate those effects.
- The physical workplace: physical elements of the workplace drive behaviour –how can we use this to drive the behaviour that we want!
- The human in the machine -“I can’t think in here!” How to recognise an environment which is not conducive to the work, and what to do about it!
- Diversity: we are all different. How does that affect our workplace behaviour? (-simple strategies which are free or inexpensive, and cost effective)
- Managing the culture: culture drives performance. How to change the culture to overcome workplace obstacles and change behaviour for good!
After taking this course you will be able to:
- Build strategies for improving human-centred practice within your organisation
- Improve the performance of staff
- Recognise sources of conflict in your team
- Understand how to improve the physical environment in your organisation