Information for students, staff and tutors
The Department is following guidance provided on the University of Oxford’s Coronavirus update page which is updated regularly. The welfare of our students, staff, and tutors is the highest priority for the Department for Continuing Education. Please consult the latest government guidance for information on Coronavirus.
Department for Continuing Education update, reviewed 20 July 2021
Guidance for part-time and commuting students.
The current situation is as follows:
- In early July, the University took the decision that there would be no change our current Return to On-Site Working guidance for the moment. This means that the University’s current policies on social distancing and face coverings will remain in place beyond July 19. This position will be kept under constant review in coming weeks and will adapt as the local and national situation evolves.
- As of 17 May, in-person teaching was permitted. If we plan to resume in-person teaching on your course, your Course Director or Course Administrator will write to you to confirm the details. Online alternatives will continue to be available for any student who cannot attend in-person due to the pandemic.
- All students attending in-person teaching are strongly encouraged to take LFD tests, which can be ordered either via the Government website or, if you are in Oxford, booked at the University test centres. Additional health and safety measures will be in place in the Department, including two metre social distancing and enhanced cleaning regimes.
- If travelling to Oxford for in-person teaching, overseas students will need to follow national and international travel guidance and must self-isolate for ten days on arrival in the UK. If matriculated students plan to self-isolate in college accommodation, they must agree this with their college in advance to ensure the college is able to support them. Unfortunately we are not able to offer quarantine support in Rewley House accommodation.
- If students are in a country that is on the UK Government’s ‘red list’, they are advised not to travel to Oxford, unless they have substantial in-person teaching commitments. Please remember that countries can quickly move onto the Government’s ‘red list’, which could significantly increase the cost and complexity of travelling.
- The University and colleges will not routinely meet the costs of COVID-19 PCR tests taken or booked before travelling back to the UK, or quarantine costs for students returning from red list countries. Students will not normally be eligible to seek support from hardship funds upfront to enable them to travel to Oxford.
- Postgraduate research students are not affected by the Government announcement. They can continue to conduct their research on-site where it is necessary, and where they have been permitted to do so.
Weekly classes were moved online this year and are taking place in a virtual classroom, as part of the new 'Weekly Oxford Worldwide' programme. We are offering a summer term of short online courses again this year.
Any specific questions should be addressed to your Course Director or Administrator. Contact details for course teams can be found here.
For full details, including for international students, applicants and offer holders, please see: www.ox.ac.uk/coronavirus/students.
Continuing Education Library
With many students unable to visit Oxford at this time, we are striving to provide as many materials as possible electronically and are adding new e-books to SOLO and ORLO regularly. If the books you need are not available please do get in touch by emailing email@example.com
We plan to reopen the Rewley House Reading Room and to launch a new "Browse and Borrow" service at the Continuing Education Library on 26 April. This will run alongside the existing "Click and Collect" and scanning services. Full details and booking instructions will be available from our blog soon.
In the meantime, the Library continues to offer "click and collect" and Library Scanning services. The collection point for "click and collect" is currently outside Rewley House. Please see blogs.bodleian.ox.ac.uk/conted/ for more information.
Please see the Bodleian Library's service update pages for updates on the wider Bodleian Libraries system.
Please contact us on firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions.