Our summer schools for academics and professionals typically comprise of study in small interactive seminar groups with specialist tutors and lecture programmes given by leading scholars and distinguished speakers.
Participants include graduate and senior undergraduate students, teachers in schools and colleges, and professionals working in the field.
Summer schools in Oxford
Regrettably the Department has decided that we must cancel our 2020 Oxford Summer Schools for Academics and Professionals programmes.
We’d like to express a huge thank you for your much-valued ongoing support of the Department and our courses, and we hope that we’ll have the opportunity of welcoming you to Oxford in the near future.
If you are currently enrolled on these programmes, we shall, of course, be reimbursing your course fees and we should like to ask for your patience as we begin this process.
Should you have any specific questions, please do not hesitate to contact us.
Please accept our best wishes for your health and wellbeing at this difficult time.
Please note: the Oxford English Language Teachers' Academy Masterclass has been replaced with a new suite of online courses.
Applicants for the courses listed below are usually required to have completed a minimum of two years' full-time study at university in a relevant academic discipline.
- Creative Writing Summer School 26 Jul - 15 Aug 2020
- English Literature Summer School 05 - 25 Jul 2020
- History, Politics & Society Summer School 05 - 25 Jul 2020
- International Human Rights Law Summer School 08 Jul - 04 Aug 2019
- International Politics Summer School 02 - 15 Aug 2020
The following courses require participants to have an academic or professional background in the subject.
- Choral Singing Summer School 28 Jun - 05 Jul 2020
- Composing for Choirs 28 Jun - 05 Jul 2020
- English Language Teachers' Summer Seminar 26 July-08 August and 09-22 August 2020
- Oxford English Language Teachers' Academy Masterclass (replaced with Oxford Teachers' Academy Online Courses)
- Theology Summer School 02 - 15 Aug 2020
We also offer two linked events, a two-day summer school and a one-day conference, for philosophers, scientists, psychiatrists, other mental health professionals, and service users.
- Oxford Summer School in Philosophy and Psychiatry 18 - 19 July 2019
- International Conference in Philosophy and Psychiatry 20 July 2019
All summer school participants who satisfactorily complete a programme will be awarded an attendance certificate.
The academic and professional summer schools are based at some of Oxford's historic colleges including Christ Church, Exeter College, New College, St Antony's College and Worcester College. Details of accommodation can be found on each individual course page.
The music summer schools take place at St Stephen's House, a Hall of the University of Oxford.
The programmes are residential; however, some do offer non-residential options.
Information on fees and payment details can be found on each individual course page.
The application process varies for each programme. Details of how to apply are outlined on each course page.