Student health

General information

If you have a condition which may affect your studies, please see the information on our Students with Disabilities webpage and contact the Department's Student Support Administrator if you have any questions.

If you are taken ill during teaching in Oxford, the nearest doctor can be contacted at the Jericho Health Centre, Walton Street (+44(0)1865 311234).  Matriculated students should contact their college doctor or nurse.

Because the majority of our courses are non-residential, we do not employ a Doctor, and assume that students have made arrangements nearer home or are covered by private insurance.

Information on student health and welfare can be found on the University web page Health and Welfare.  Students on award-bearing courses (i.e. an undergraduate or postgraduate-level Certificate, Diploma or other award) can also refer to the Award-Bearing Handbook.

For International Students

If you are unsure about what your health arrangement will be whilst studying in the UK, please contact your local health authorities.

EU/EEA Students

If you are a national of an EU/EEA country, you are eligible for NHS treatment if you have completed an E128 form which can be obtained from your own national health authority. This form entitles the holder to full NHS treatment on the same basis as students who are studying for six months or more. However, it is recommended that you also take out health insurance as you may want a quicker service than the NHS can deliver.

Students from a country with a reciprocal health agreement with the UK: 
If you are from a country that has a reciprocal health agreement with the UK you may be entitled to some NHS treatment if you are on a course lasting less than six months. You should seek advice before you travel from the health authorities in your home country about what treatment will be covered. You may still need to take out limited medical insurance.

Overseas Students

Overseas students who are not resident in the United Kingdom for a period of at least six months for the purposes of full-time education are not eligible for registration with a local UK GP or eligible to use NHS services. It is essential therefore that students to whom this applies have their own private health care cover. You will need to pay any costs to the Health Centre and then claim this back.

Further information on UK health services

UK CISA (The Council for International Education)

NHS (National Health Service)