This day school will introduce the basic elements of animal ethics.
Animal rights, animal welfare, the status of animals as property, and the concept of personhood (as applied to humans and nonhumans) will be discussed.
Questions asked include:
- Are animals merely things or do they have moral value?
- If animals have moral value, what are our moral obligations to them?
- Is vegetarianism sufficient?
- Is veganism required?
- Can we justify domestication?
- What are the implications of the status of animals as property?
- Does (or can) the law sufficiently protect animal interests?
- Is there any relationship between human rights and nonhuman rights?
Please note: this event will close to enrolments at 23:59 BST on 3 April 2024.