Making the move from technical expert to business leader
Without the right mindset, the ability to motivate and lead people, and an operational process to get things done, technical leaders, or managers, can become overloaded and struggle with the transition from expert to leader.
This course addresses how to enhance the effectiveness of technical expertise by becoming a business leader, whether or not you are the appointed manager.
Based on the real-world experiences of a technical expert who transitioned to the boardroom, this course will use case studies and class exercises to apply theory.
The practical design of this course will benefit people who have taken on formal management roles, as well as technical experts who need to lead others.
We will cover how the workplace really operates and provide insights into what senior management is actually looking for.
You will also learn the difference between leadership and management, and what practical steps are required to balance the two. The balance between empowered people and process is also examined to create scalable high-performance.
This course is about fast-tracking the journey from technical expert to business leader.
- Understand how the history of management shapes our current workplace
- Learn how to balance management with leadership, using examples of where mistakes have been made over the past decade
- Examine the gap between technical leader and technical expert
- Distinguish the different behaviours required to lead or manage
- Understand people and their personalities
- Critique motivation techniques, and what works with smart people
- Discover why people before process is important
- Discover why you cannot ignore process
- Practice an operational model to get the right things done systematically
- Develop techniques to prioritise work to reduce work overload
- Learn practical tips and tricks to be an effective manager and inspirational leader
Who will benefit?
- Technical experts moving into management
- Technical experts who need to lead in their role
- New managers who want to fast track their experience
- Experienced managers who want an up-to-date refresher on leading smart people
Dates, Times and Delivery
The Technical Team Leadership (online) course will run over five sessions from 19-23 February 2024.
These live video sessions will be held on Microsoft Teams at 9:30 – 11:30 (UK time) on:
- Monday 19 February
- Tuesday 20 February
- Wednesday 21 February
- Thursday 22 February
- Friday 23 February
A world clock, and time zone converter can be found here: https://bit.ly/3bSPu6D
Accessing Your Online Course
Details about accessing the private MS Teams course site will be emailed to you during the week prior to the course commencing.
Please get in touch if you have not received this information within three working days of the course start date.