UK Government Loans


Student Loans

If you are a home or EU student starting one of our undergraduate courses and do not already have an undergraduate degree, you may apply for a part-time student loan to cover all or part of your fees.

You can find information on repayment of loans and an application form on the Student Finance England website.

Frequently Asked Questions

Q. How much loan should I apply for?

A. You may apply for all or part of your fees. If you have received a bursary towards your fees you must deduct this amount from the total amount of your loan.

Q. I am being asked for a Learning and Funding Information Letter/ Provider Reference Number - what is this?

A. The Part-Time Student Loan application does not require a Learning and Funding Information Letter or Provider Reference Number. If at any stage in the process you are asked for this, please check you are applying for the right type of loan, using the link above.

Q. I have received a letter saying my loan has been approved. What do I do next?

A. Once you have confirmation from Student Finance England that your loan has been approved, please contact the Widening Access Assistant and forward a copy of the payment schedule to her when you receive it. Your loan will be paid directly to the Department in three instalments.

Applying for a loan for the Certificate of Higher Education

If you intend to apply for a student loan to cover your programme fee and short course fees for the Certificate of Higher Education, you will need to consider the following points as well as the guidance above:

  • If you are not sure how many courses you plan to take in the year you should apply for the maximum amount available, as you cannot increase your loan later on.
  • Every time you book a course which you would like paid for by your student loan, please notify the Programme Administrator. If your loan has not been confirmed when you book a course, you will have to pay a deposit which will be returned once your loan is agreed. 
  • You may claim the course fee for OUSSA from your student loan, but the loan will not cover accommodation or meal costs.
  • When you have booked all the courses you intend to take, please let the Widening Access Assistant know so that your loan amount can be adjusted down.

UK Master’s Loans

A new £10,000 government loans scheme for full-time and part-time master’s courses has come into effect for applicants starting a course in 2016-17. Applications are now open and should be made via the Student Loans Company website.

To apply for a loan, your course must be 2 to 4 years part-time at a minimum 50% intensity of full-time. Not all Continuing Education Masters programmes are eligible - please check the list of eligible courses on the university’s UK Master’s Loans page, where you will also find further application guidance.

If you have any questions about the eligibility of courses not on the main list, please contact the Widening Access Assistant.

Professional and Career Development Loans

If you are taking a course in order to develop your career, it may be worth considering a Professional and Career Development Loan. For details please visit the PCDL website.

To make an application you will need our department’s provider number, which is 6434.

Not all courses are eligible, and the course you wish to apply for may need to be registered. Please contact the Widening Access Assistant as soon as possible so that we can check eligibility and register the course for you if necessary.


Please note the correct name and address for the Department when completing the student loan application form: Oxford University Department for Continuing Education, Rewley House, 1 Wellington Square, Oxford, OX1 2JA.