Exploring health behaviours and behaviour change to inform policy and practice
This short course will explore the mechanisms of action and factors that influence various health behaviours. It will introduce health behaviour change theories and key types of health behaviour change interventions. Participants will have the opportunity to evaluate existing healthcare interventions through the critical appraisal of relevant research literature, behaviour change theory and intervention development guidance.
On completion of the course, participants will be able to apply the knowledge learnt through the above objectives to develop, implement and evaluate health behaviour change interventions to influence health care practice and policy.
This module will cover:
- What health behaviours are and the reasons for changing them
- The drivers of harmful health behaviours and why health behaviours are difficult to change
- The levels of health behaviour change intervention and the ethical considerations associated with intervening
- Key behaviour change theories
- Health behaviour change for wellness
- Harm reduction approaches to behaviour change
- Medication adherence
- Designing, implementing and evaluating health behaviour change interventions