Dr Isabel Ruiz
Isabel Ruiz is Associate Professor of Political Economy at the University of Oxford, where she is also Director of Studies in Economics at the Department for Continuing Education (OUDCE) and Director of the DPhil in Continuing Education. Isabel is a Fellow of Kellogg College and an Associate Member of the Department of Economics, the Oxford Department of International Development (ODID) and the Latin American Centre at the University.
Isabel’s research focuses on the economics of migration with a particular interest on forced migration. She has published widely on this topic and is coordinator of the Economics of Forced Migration Project (ECONFORCED). Recent research projects include exploring the impacts of hosting refugees and refugee repatriation in the Great Lakes region of Africa with emphasis on the cases of Burundi and Tanzania. She has also been recently exploring the labour market outcomes of refugees in the United Kingdom as part of the Labour Market Integration of Refugees in the UK project financed by the Nuffield Foundation. Isabel has worked in projects with UNU-Wider, the Agence Française de Développement, and the World Bank.
Before joining OUDCE, Isabel was the Official Fellow and Tutor in Economics at Harris Manchester College, University of Oxford, where she taught and directed the economic teaching for Philosophy, Politics and Economics (PPE), Economics and Management (E&M) and History and Economics (H&E) students. She taught courses on Micro and Macroeconomics, Quantitative Methods and Economic Development. At Harris Manchester, she was also a member of the Governing Body and in 2018 she was Vice-Principal of the College.
Publications (since 2012)
- “The Impact of Hosting Refugees on the Intra-Household Allocation of Tasks: A Gender Perspective” (with C. Vargas-Silva), Review of Development Economics, forthcoming 2018.
- “Differences in Labour Market Outcomes between Natives, Refugees and Other Migrants in the UK” (with C. Vargas-Silva), Journal of Economic Geography, Vol. 18, No. 4, pp. 855-885, 2018.
- “Reason for Immigration and Immigrant’s Health,” (with Giuntella, O., Kone, Z. and C. Vargas-Silva), Public Health, Vol. 158, pp. 102-109, 2018.
- “The Economic Consequences of Forced Migration for Host Communities in Africa,” (with C. Vargas-Silva), Revue d'Economie du Developpement, Vol. 25, No. 3, pp. 135-154, 2017.
- “Return Migration and Economic Outcomes in the Conflict Context” (with S. Fransen and C. Vargas-Silva), World Development, Vol. 95, pp. 196-210, 2017.
- “Are Refugees’ Labour Market Outcomes Different from those of Other Migrants? Evidence from the United Kingdom in the 2005 – 2007 Period” (with C. Vargas-Silva), Population, Space and Place, Vol. 23, No. 6, 2017.
- “The Labor Market Consequences of Hosting Refugees” (with C. Vargas-Silva), Journal of Economic Geography, Vol. 16, No. 3, pp. 667-694, 2016.
- “The Labor Market Impacts of Forced Migration.” American Economic Review, P&P, (with C. Vargas-Silva), Vol. 105, No. 5, pp. 581-586, 2015.
- “Forced Up or Down? The Impact of Forced Migration on Social Status” (with M. Siegel and C. Vargas-Silva), Journal of Refugee Studies, Vol. 8, No. 2, pp. 183-201, 2015.
- “Remittances and the Business Cycle: A Reliable Relationship?” (with C. Vargas-Silva), Journal of Ethnic and Migration Studies, Vol. 40, No. 1, pp. 456-474, 2014.
- "The Economics of Forced Migration" (with C. Vargas-Silva), Journal of Developing Studies, Vol 49, No.6, pp. 772-784, 2013.
- “The Impact of Crime and Insecurity on Trust in Democracy and Institutions,” (with L. Blanco), American Economic Review, P&P, Vol. 103, No. 3, pp. 284–288, 2013.
- “The Impact of FDI on CO2 Emissions in Latin America,” (with L. Blanco and F. Gonzalez), Oxford Development Studies, Vol. 41, No. 1, pp. 104–121, 2013.
- “Macroeconomic antecedents to U.S. investment in Latin America,” (with H. Arbelaez), Journal of Business Research, Vol. 66, pp. 439–447, 2013.
- “Exploring the Causes of the Slowdown in Remittances to Mexico.” (with C. Vargas-Silva), Empirical Economics, 42, 3, pp.745-766, 2012.
- “Political Risk, Macroeconomic Uncertainty and the Patterns of Foreign Direct Investment,” (with B. Solomon), The International Trade Journal, Vol. 26, pp. 1-18, 2012.
Relevant Research Reports/ Proceedings
- “Guidelines for Assessing the Impacts and Costs of Forced Displacement,” (with R. Zetter, C. Vargas-Silva and E. Fiddian), World Bank Report, 2012
- “Assessing the Impacts and Costs of Forced Displacement A Mixed Methods Approach (with R. Zetter, C. Vargas-Silva and E. Fiddian), World Bank Report, 2012
- “Study on Impacts and Costs of Forced Displacement: State of the Art Literature Review,” (with R. Zetter, C. Vargas-Silva and E. Fiddian), World Bank Report, 2012.